Saturday 19 April 2008

Odd Sinners!

I have been to synod today and my daughter asked once what synod was I told her it was a place for 'Odd Sinners'.
It was interesting in that we had a presentation about communicating from an advertising executive and after lunch we had some workshops where we looked at what we do now and how we might do something new to communicate. There were lots of excellent ideas.
We also agreed to send a resolution to conference after much discussion about the wording of the resolution it was agreed. It struck me that the important thing was the spirit of the resolution and we got bogged down in looking at the wording of what I thought was a pretty good resolution.
We agreed to ask conference to look at ways we might work more closely with our United Reform brothers and sisters.
As I am still new to synod I am not sure if Dave Faulkner is right about it being a chance for people to meet old friends or whether the loudest voices win the day but there were one or two who spoke quite forcefully on matters.
The synod ended with a singing group from Moors Methodist Church who surprised me by singing You Raise me up and two other sings before our retiring training person (Charles Worth) said some excellent words to encourage us.

1 comment:

PamBG said...

It struck me that the important thing was the spirit of the resolution and we got bogged down in looking at the wording of what I thought was a pretty good resolution.

I rather felt the same way. On the other hand, one wouldn't want to leave everything to us broad-brush types.