Sunday 11 November 2007

Been a while!

Well nearly two weeks since I last posted - had a busy couple of weeks with a major reorganisation going on at work and I have been assessing Faith & Worship submissions which is a very enjoyable process but obviously time consuming. I had seven lots of work this time which equates to 28 assignments plus personal reflections and worship portfolio's. I have to say the work I have seen bodes well for local preaching in the circuits the people come from.
In over twenty years of preaching I have never taken a remembrance Sunday service until today - I was very nervous about this as I wanted to be sure it went well and that all the relevant things were included - managed to get the Last Post and Reveille off itunes and played these as well as having the words associated with the act of remembrance. I also used a hymn by Fred Kaan to the tune Eventide ( Abide with me) and many of the congregation said how relevant they thought the hymn was for today. We also sang the Lord's Prayer which is something we rarely do and it seemed to give a real power to the words, and thanks to Methodist Preacher I decided to use God be with you and this went very well.
I have attached the words of the Fred Kaan hymn and could recommend it as a good choice for Remembrance services.

God! As with silent hearts we bring to mind
how hate and war diminish humankind,
we pause - and seek in worship to increase
our knowledge of the things that make for peace.

Hallow our will as humbly we recall
the lives of those who gave and give their all.
We thank you, Lord, for women, children, men
who seek to serve in love, today as then.

Give us deep faith to comfort those who mourn,
high hope to share with all the newly born,
strong love in our pursuit of human worth:
'lest we forget' the future of this earth.

So, Prince of Peace, disarm our trust in power,
teach us to coax the plant of peace to flower.
May we, im-passioned by your living Word,
remember forward to a world restored.

Fred Kaan (born 1929)
© 1997 Stainer & Bell Ltd

No comments: